Knee surgery, such as robotic joint replacement, is a standard procedure that many people undergo. However, it is essential to be as prepared as possible for the procedure so that you have the best chance of a successful recovery. In this post, we will provide you with some questions you should ask your doctor before knee surgery.
What will happen during the surgery?
Knee surgery is a major operation, and it’s important to know what to expect before the procedure. You will need to be at the hospital for at least six hours, and you may need an overnight stay. You will also need to take a few days off from work, and you may need to use crutches.
After the surgery, you may feel some pain and swelling. You may also experience difficulty moving your knee and need help getting up from a sitting or lying position.
What are the risks associated with knee surgery?
There are many risks associated with knee surgery, but fortunately, most can be minimised or eliminated through careful preoperative planning. Here are some key questions you should ask to help reduce those risks:
- What are the potential side effects of the surgery?
- How severe are the possible side effects?
- What are the possible complications associated with the surgery?
- How long will I be hospitalised?
- What are the potential long-term side effects of the surgery?
- Are there any alternatives to the surgery that would be better for me?
What kind of pain can I expect?
Most knee surgeries may cause some discomfort. The level of pain will depend on the severity of the surgery and the individual’s pain tolerance. However, most patients report general discomfort and swelling for about two weeks after the surgery. Some patients also experience pain during movement and may require crutches or a walking boot for the first few weeks. However, most patients can return to regular activity within two to four weeks.
In addition, patients should ask their surgeon about possible complications, such as infection, nerve damage, blood clots, and more.
How long will the recovery process take?
There is no specific answer to this question, as the length of time your body takes to heal will vary depending on several factors, such as your age, weight, health history, and genetics. However, most knee surgeries typically require a period of rest, followed by a gradual return to daily activity. If you are considering knee surgery, it is essential to ask your surgeon what the expected recovery time will be. This will help you plan your schedule and allow you to make the most of your time.
What can I do to speed up my recovery?
You can do many things to speed up your recovery after knee surgery. Here are just a few:
- Make a list of everything you need to do to speed up your recovery. This could include taking your medications as prescribed, eating a balanced diet, getting enough rest, and exercising.
- Make a list of the things you can do without hurting your knee. This could include walking slowly and carefully, using a cane or crutches, and avoiding heavy lifting.
- Make a list of the things you can’t do. This could include running or playing sports.
- Follow the doctor’s instructions carefully. If you have any questions, ask them.
How will my knee look after the surgery?
Knee surgery can be terrifying for some people. They may have concerns about how their knee will look post-surgery, their recovery time, and the long-term effects. It is essential to ask as many questions as possible before scheduling the surgery. This will help ensure that you are making the best decision for yourself. Some questions you may want to ask to include the following:
- How extensive is the surgery?
- What type of surgery is it?
- What are the potential risks and benefits of the surgery?
- What kind of recovery time am I looking at?
- What are the possible long-term effects of the surgery?
- How will my knee look after the surgery?
Knee surgery can be a challenging prospect, but with the proper preparation, it can be a smooth and successful process. This post will help you make the best health and well-being decisions when undergoing knee surgery. In case you need a robotic joint replacement, Nanavati Max Hospital can be easily reached out by chance. They allow patients to take advantage of being provided with the best services and expertise.
Read More health blogs about: What is the Process of Pelvic Floor Physical therapy?